Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Me and my lameness
A few Sundays ago I found myself sitting at a Starbucks in the mall, sipping a latte, and waiting for the RAM upgrade in my new IMac to be completed. In that moment I came to a realization. I am lame!

I used to be cool. I shopped at Goodwill, drove a vinatage car, listened to Indy bands, and read thought provoking novels. Now I shop at the mall, drive an SUV, listen to talk radio, and watch TV.

What on earth happened to my former cool self?

My only consolation is that I am not alone. I have many friends that have taken this same path. However, most of them blame this journey on their children. I do not have any offspring to excuse my path to becoming lame.

Hmm...what would my old cool self say to the current lame me if we met in some parallel universe.

Would we argue over the fact that although I have an SUV it actually gets better gas mileage and has lower emissions than that cool vintage car? Plus it's a lot safer since the windshield wipers and break lights actually work.

Would we agree that although talk radio sucks it's better than listening to radio stations that play the same top 40 songs over and over again?

Okay, so maybe my old cool self and my current lame self have more in common than I thought. After all both my former cool self and my current lame self have the same political and social ideals. I think if we got to know each other we would find we weren't that different after all.

I think maybe my former cool self might have been judgmental and snobbish when it came to things I deemed as uncool. Plus, my former cool self couldn't afford to shop anywhere but Goodwill and although I love to read I had not yet discovered the wonders of the Tivo.

Maybe the moral of this story is that in becoming lame I am actually cooler because I no longer care if other people think I am lame.
1 Comments:
Blogger Bonnie said...
Hey, not all of your lame friends have kids... some of the rest of us came by our lameness honestly. Although I think going from Christian Contemporary radio to talk radio is probably a step up...

I think it's all part of growing up, though - I mean, think of how obnoxious some of the hipsters are who are still doing the vintage/indie thing but have just gotten more obnoxious about it with age.